U.S.A. -(AmmoLand.com)- NEWTOWN, Conn. — NSSF, the firearm industry’s trade association, released the 2020 edition of its Firearm Production Report to members. The report compiles the most up to date information based on data sourced from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ (ATF’s) Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Reports (AFMER) as well as the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). Key findings for public release showed:
- In 2018, 11.4 million total firearms were produced or imported in the United States (less exported firearms).
- Approximately one-half (48%) of all rifles produced and imported (fewer exports) in 2018 were Modern Sporting Rifles.
- Since 1990, there are an estimated 19.8 million Modern Sporting Rifles (MSRs) in circulation today.
- An interim 2019 estimate showed a total of 6 million total firearms were produced in the United States. Of those, 3.6 million were pistols and revolvers, 2 million were rifles and 480,000 were shotguns. Those are interim figures that will be updated when complete reports become available from the ATF.
- In 2019, there were approximately 3.3 million firearms imported into the United States which included 2.3 million pistols and revolvers, 301,000 rifles and 678,000 shotguns.
- From 1991 to 2019, nearly 214 million firearms have been made available to the U.S. market.
- According to